Thursday, August 1, 2013

Madison Lee McNabb


She.Is.Here!!

I will try and not make this post overwhelming and long (although I am not promising anything)
When I get to talking about the whole experience I could go on and on....

So here is how it went...

I was due the 18th.
The 18th came and went.
I didn't feel any different,
I had an induction date for the 25th (a week after my due date), but a week more of being pregnant about killed my drive to do anything.
It didn't help that my doc seemed to be convinced that I would have to be induced.
And Griff, of course, followed the same thinking.
No belief in me and my body whatsoever.
But my body didn't seem to want to go into labor real bad because I got checked on the 16th and I was not dilated at all.
I didn't try any crazy things to help me go into labor,
I did however do the following:
Walk about 3 miles a day+walking the days I worked, curb walking, and I made lemon cupcakes.
Ok let me tell you about these lemon cupcakes.
My mom (a labor and delivery nurse) had a patient that told her about these famous lemon cupcakes that supposedly put women who are due, into labor.
So on my due date, I made them.
I figured it was just another excuse to eat more sugar! Why not?
I ate 2 of them, and according to sources, you should go into labor approximately 12 hours later.
So I waited and waited...
The rest of the day I just cleaned and tried to keep busy. 
We went to bed around 10, felt fine.
I kept waking up every couple of hours, just hoping I would be in labor, but didn't feel anything.
But then...I woke up around 6:30 to a back ache. I wasn't sure if that was contractions, or if it was my imagination.
It came and went every 10 minutes or so, but I didn't want to get my hopes up so I tried not to think too much about it. 
When Griff got home from football, at about 8:30 they were still the same and I told him that I thought they were contractions. He didn't believe me. Typical.
At about 11 they were getting harder and more frequent and I had to stop what I was doing when they came.
Griff started to believe me, and I started to think that this could be it.
At about 1pm I called my mom and Lisa so they could start heading this way. 
I wanted to stay home as long as possible because I wanted to try and go natural.
So I tried to stay busy and distract myself as much as possible.
We went on a walk (in the 95 degree weather), watched a movie, played cards, cleaned the house, and finally we packed our bags.
At 2:30 we decided to go in because my contractions were getting harder and about 4 or 5 minutes apart.
They got me all settled in and I was dilated to a 3. Even though a 3 doesn't sound that great, at least it was progress!
The contractions were still coming fast and hard, when the nurse anesthetist came in to offer an epidural.
Man, oh man was it tempting. The pain was unreal and I knew it was going to get worse. 
But I decided to see if I was making any progress since the last time they checked me to make my decision.
An hour later I was a 4.
They offered the epidural again but I decided to not get it. Maybe the thought of having to sit still long enough for them to stick a huge needle in my back and then having to feel all numb was what did it for me.
45 minutes later I was a 6.
I was progressing and that was THE only thing that was keeping me going, that and Griff telling me that I could do it, even though I kept telling him that I didn't think I could!
An hour later I was an 8.
I thought I was going to die and that it was never going to end! But...
An hour later she was here!
I was in hard labor for about 4 hours, but from the first contraction it was a total of 12.
Not too bad for my first baby!

She was born at 7:09 pm, weighed 7 lbs 4 oz and was 19 1/2 inches long.

WOW...what an amazing experience! Right after her birth, the pain went away and I just wanted to hold her and see her! They had to stimulate her a little to breath, but then finally Griff brought her over to me and with tears in both of our eyes we finally met our little girl.
I can't explain to you in words what it feels like to become parents and to go through that whole experience, other than it is complete happiness and joy. Babies are a complete miracle to me and such a precious gift sent from up above. It was definitely the HARDEST thing I have ever done, but with the help of Griff and the nurses I did it natural! I have almost forgot how much it hurt by now and already can't wait for the next one...almost.

Our moms missed the delivery by 30 minutes! But it actually turned out perfect because they got there just in time to hold her after Griff and I both had our "moment"

We stare at her for hours and we of course think she is the most perfect thing that ever entered out lives. 
We love her with all of our hearts and more, and are extremely grateful and humbled that we get to have her in our family.

Madison Lee McNabb
40 weeks! 



So in love!


Aren't our moms the coolest?! They cleaned my house, made me food, and went on bike rides together! Coolest grandmas ever!!


Going home!

3 comments:

  1. what a lovely Birthing story! I love all birth stories! I am wanting to come and visit you and you sweet little one. I will have to facebook you to get your address so that I can. Your little family is so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness!!! Whit you are such a beautiful mom! and your little girl is so cute!!! I am so happy for you!!! What an amazing feeling to be a momma! Hope all is well with you guys and hopefully maybe around Christmas we can see each other!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. yay for babies! congrats momma, she is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete